Skip to main content

Post-season Tasks

We are now a week past the Box 7 deadline for 1099-MISC forms. Unfortunately for some of you, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re done with all that is “Box 7 1099-MISC form filing.” Some of you are still gathering information for a few remaining forms. Some of you need to make corrections to your forms. In either case, we at Tax1099 are here to help.

Filing final forms
Did you know that when you eFile, the IRS doesn’t require all forms under a payer to be sent in a single batch? If you have information ready for some vendors under a payer, but not others, you don’t have to delay the entire filing. You can go through with the filing of forms that are complete, and you can file your other forms when ready. Tax1099 is available year-round, and we will be accessible to you when those final forms are filled out.

Correcting forms
So, you made a mistake. Let’s make it right. First, what kind of error was made? Do you need to correct a box amount? Do you need to correct vendor information? Or, do you need to correct payer information? Each type of error has a different correction process. We’ll walk you through each one.

Correcting a box amount
If you’ve entered an incorrect amount in one of the boxes on a 1099-MISC form with a Box 7 amount, you’ll need to submit a corrected form with the accurate amount. This is one of the more simple correction processes.

  • Navigate to the Forms tab in Tax1099
  • Click “New Form”
  • Select the 1099-MISC
  • Click the “Corrected” box at the top of the form
  • Select the Payer and the Vendor
  • Enter the accurate box amount
  • Press “Next”
  • Review your form, then submit and pay

Correcting box amounts in bulk
What if you have more than one form to correct? What if you have hundreds of forms to correct? Instead of tweaking each box amount manually, you can make edits in bulk and import the changes.

  • Navigate to the Forms tab in Tax1099
  • Click “Manage Forms,” and select your Payer and Tax Year
  • Select your forms

There are two ways you can do this. First, you can either go through your list, and select the individual checkboxes of your incorrect vendor forms. If you’d rather, you can select all the forms by clicking the checkbox in the top left of the table and sort later. Then:

  • Click the blue “Export to Excel” button above the table

This will download all your forms into an Excel. If you need to sort your forms, do so. Edit the box amounts in the spreadsheet. After you’ve done this:

  • Navigate to the Import tab in Tax1099
  • Click “Excel Spreadsheet”
  • Select the 1099-MISC
  • Attach your file
  • Click the “Check if filing for corrected” box below the upload bar
  • Press “Next”
  • Review your forms, then submit and pay

Correcting vendor information
If you’ve made an error in vendor information, such as a misspelling of a name, or an incorrect TIN, you’ll need to void the original form. Then, you’ll need to file a new form, with the accurate information.
To void a form:

  • Navigate to the Forms tab in Tax1099
  • Click “New Form”
  • Select the 1099-MISC
  • Click the “Corrected” box at the top of the form
  • Select the Payer and the Vendor
  • Enter 0’s in the boxes to nullify the previous filing
  • Press “Next”
  • Review your form, then submit and pay

Then, you’ll create a new form. This will not be a corrected form, since you will not have previously filed with the accurate information. You’ll follow the first three steps of the instructions above, filling in accurate box amounts this time.

Correcting vendor information in bulk
Again, if you want to correct information in bulk, you’ll do so through an Excel import. You’ll first export your original filing to an Excel, sorting for the incorrect forms, then you’ll enter 0’s in the box amounts, and import to Tax1099 as corrected forms. This will void the original filing. Then, you may replace the vendor information and box amounts in the Excel sheet with accurate information, and import as new forms. You’ll review, submit, and pay for these forms.

Correcting payer information
If you’ve made an error in payer information, the correction process is a little different. You won’t void old forms or submit new forms. You’ll simply send a letter to the IRS. You’ll need to include this information on the letter:

  • Payer name, TIN, and address
  • Description of the error: Was the payer name incorrect? Was the payer TIN incorrect?
  • Tax year of the error
  • Type of return(s) filed
  • Method of filing (electronic, paper, magnetic media)
  • Number of recipients filed for

You’ll send the letter here:

IRS-Martinsburg Computing Center
Information Reporting Program
240 Murall Drive
Kearneysville, WV 25430

You may also want to contact information reporting customer service at 1-866-455-7438. For more information, see page 8 of the 2018 “General Instructions for Certain Information Returns” document.

We hope this information is helpful to you, as you work to file accurate information for yourself or on your payer’s behalf. It’s important to note that if you have any forms that are not Box 7, and so have not passed their deadline, you may still have time to edit those forms. If those forms have not passed their scheduled date, in many cases, you can make edits instead of filing corrected forms.

Please let us know if you have any questions! We’re available via the live chat feature on Tax1099. Thanks for eFiling with us!