Who needs it?
In general, any employer that received notification from the IRS to file form 944, must use that form to report the following amounts:
- Wages you have paid.
- Tips your employees have received.
- Federal income tax you withheld.
- Both the employer's and the employee's share of social security and Medicare taxes.
- Additional Medicare Tax withheld from employees.
- Current quarter's adjustments to social security and Medicare taxes for fractions of cents, sick pay, tips, and group-term life insurance.
- Credit for COBRA premium assistance payments.
When to File it
Paper filers must report form 944 to the IRS by January 31, 2017.
If you made deposits on time in full payment of the taxes due for the year, you may file the return by February 10, 2017.
IRS form 944 e-file due date is January 31, 2017.
Electronically filed 944 forms are directly transmitted to the IRS from the Tax1099.com system.